Enduring Power of Guardianship (EPG)

A document in which a person nominates someone (an enduring guardian) to make personal, lifestyle and treatment decisions on their behalf, at any time you are unable to make reasonable judgments in respect of matters relating to my person. An enduring guardian cannot be authorised to make decisions about financial or property matters.

As with an EPA, you can specify that your Guardian only act in certain circumstances and/or only in relation to certain issues, for example:

  • decide where I am to live, whether permanently or temporarily
  • decide with whom I am to live
  • decide whether I should work and, if so, any matters related to my working
  • consent, or refuse consent, on my behalf to any medical, surgical or dental treatment or other health care (including palliative care and life sustaining measures such as assisted ventilation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
  • decide what education and training I am to receive
  • decide with whom I am to associate
  • commence, defend, conduct or settle on my behalf any legal proceedings except proceedings relating to my property or estate
  • advocate for, and make decisions about, which support services I should have access to
  • seek and receive information on my behalf from any person, body or organisation

For Both EPA and EPG, you may wish to appoint a substitute guardian/attorney, if one is unable/unwilling to act, and/or joint guardians/attorneys, and specify if you wish the survivor/s to act if one passes or is unable/unwilling to act. In the case where one joint guardian/attorney passes, you must appoint a substitute guardian/attorney to act with the surviving guardian/attorney.